Sunday, October 02, 2005

Secret:

Yes, this reflection will in fact be about 13 going on 30. While I typically have a strong distaste for chick flicks, this one I found quite enjoyable. I think it was because I could empathize with some of the characters, or could pick out personalities in the movie that resembled people in my life. I'm not going to go into it much, but I do have a few things to say about the main characters.

(::note:: spoilers about the movie below)
What was it about Matt? I think he was described as being "too nice" which could be part of it. Nice and sweet. And he was sometimes the underdog so you had to cheer for him. The thing that stood out to me was that he was very true to himself. He had so many opportunities to take advantage of Jenna's confusion, but he was faithful to her and to his principles. He didn't let the world change him over the 17 years. And he was faithful to his fiance even though his heart was torn. I'm not really sure. I can't defend his decision given the final exchange, but for some reason I found his actions admirable.

I feel like a lot of the situation is nonapplicable, though. First of all, it's not everyday that a beautiful woman who has it all pursues you. Not to mention, an extremely niave woman. And as a result, it's not everyday that one gets the opportunity to prove one's self like he did. Sticking to his guns, but stepping outside of his box to care for her (ex. the thriller dance). I suppose that is rather applicable. Oh well. Now I'm just babbling and providing contradictory evidence for my arguments.

No comments: