Sunday, October 02, 2005

Flake:


In light of Änna's comment, I tried to draw something geometric tonight. For the life of me, I can't seem to come up with anything. I sketched for two hours while I kept Andy company in his studio, and I couldn't conceptualize anything geometric at all. Instead, I drew this.

It could definitely use some more depth. And some leaves, but I was too scared to adventure into the realm of leaf drawing.

I was considering what a fall night looks like. A lot of clearity. The air is crisp and slightly cool, the stars seem like they're at arms length, and everything is still. The darkness and the shapes would usually be frightening, but emptiness of the area surrounding you is instead calming.

Today at the climbing wall, JJ's "Flake" came on the radio (which they usually have blasting out there). It just made for a great time of power climbing and relaxing to some mellow music. I looked up the lyrics tonight to find out what the song was actually saying...
And often times we're lazy
It seems to stand in my way
Cause no one no not no one
Likes to be let down

I hope to be a non-flakey person.

2 comments:

Elli said...

did this drawing come after standing under that hollyish tree outside Montgomery Hall?
I love the night sky

Bertronium said...

I tried to draw something like this a few days before, but it wasn't right at all. I stood under the holly tree to try and get some inspiration on the perspective. But I didn't say anything because I don't typically talk about my "art". It jinxs it.