Friday, December 23, 2005

Chickens:

I've heard a lot of weird dinner conversation in my days, but I think today's takes the cake.

My mom and my grandfather (father's side) were talking about their days long ago in China and how they used to be in the chicken business. As a child, my mom would help her dad with various maintainence tasks including injecting chickens with antibiotics and hormones. Anyway, they also talked about how the rooster gonads would be removed, often surgically, to keep them under control. And, as I learned, they are considered a delicacy and sometimes are traditionally fed to brides as a wish for fertility. You apparently cook the chicken gonads in wine. There were other details discussed on this topic, but it's just too weird...

Well, I suppose I wouldn't expect any less.

No comments: