Monday, September 19, 2005

Weird:

Today's piece is rather strange. I feel like it's out of character of me to make this. But maybe not. I should explain. Today I burned a lot of time trying to meditate and refocus instead of doing work. This involved a lot of walking and a lot of sitting. So maybe the piece actually reflects my artistic sensitivity better than my late night or class time drawings. Who knows.



Click to enlarge.

It freaks me out. The first flower petal was simple and very pretty. Then the rest of them I screwed up. Hiding behind a flower? Don't ask me, 'cause I have no idea what I was thinking.

Small group was really cool tonight. One thing that I've heard about co-ed SGs is that the guys tend to dominate the conversation for some reason. I really hope that is not going to be the case. I am very, very eager to learn from each woman in our group. I feel like each of them can teach me something different about what it means to be a man. Sounds weird, but I believe it to be true. I guess this whole part sounds 'player'-ish, but I believe, hope, and pray that my intentions are genuinely pure. I also hope that the other guys can do the same.

More on that, I just thought of something that may be sort of controversial, but I think might be a valid point. Maybe one of the worst things that can happen to a SG is when people put on a show. And especially when studying scripture is it most well masked. I'll be the first to admit, I am 100% guilty of acting in such a way. It's a horrible thing and I hope it doesn't happen anymore. When one of five guys looks out on a group of twenty, chances are he'll see a sea of gals. That should not effect his message. Nor should it effect the reason behind he speaks. I abruptly end with some psalm/shane and shane song reference... because it's late and I'm tired:

"May the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to You."

3 comments:

Elli said...

just a thought about the reason the girls weren't talking as much during small group. A lot of the girls were new to IV small groups and may not have felt comfortable talking when they're not as familiar with the format, especially since there were a lot of comments made about "Can you say that?" "Where do you see that in the text?" That can be really intimidating!
I believe all of the guys have been in IV small groups in the past and went chapter camp. So they're used to doing the strict studies so those comments are taken more as a joke.
I hope the girls, including myself, do speak up more in coming weeks too!

Bertronium said...

Oh yeah, I can definitely see any reason for how and why. I just don't want it to be a pattern.

Elli said...

agreed