Monday, November 07, 2005

Dullless:

Seriously, never a dull moment around here. This is definitely my huh of the week, but please don't go around talking about this because it may be embarassing for some. I walk into my house after returning from a showing of Crash, and I find Jason lying in the kitchen doorway and Andy crouched over his head. Andy looks at me and shows me the paper towel that he's holding against the top of Jason's skull. Hmm, that's quite a bit of blood. Jen just came by and took Jason to the hospital to get everything sewn up. Rest assured, the reason for this injury is indeed stupidity. What would you expect?

I had a bit to say at the Crash showing, but I don't think that the discussion that I had in mind would have fit well there. I think a major point people were missing, in regards to the character Ryan Phillipe played, was that he is a 'racist'. Maybe more so than a lot of the other characters in the movie. I think he characterizes most of our culture in how he handles culture. With a nice long, pointy stick that has a piece of cheese impaled on it. He's charitable to people of other cultures, but does it out of guilt. He thinks he's doing good, convinces himself that he is doing so... but as the film shows, he's actually the one who causes the most hurt and damage. The 'racism' that he carries is a lot more subtle and clearly is just as dangerous. Funny thing is, I and a lot of other people do relate to his character best. Not ignorant or blind, but in a position where we continually need to embrace other people for who they are.

Why do all the best huh's of the week come right after small group?

1 comment:

Ă„nna said...

one: I should be in bed, but I like thinking about Crash

two: I was thinking of Ryan Phillipe's character differently too, but not quite like you did.

In my eyes, he was trying so hard NOT to be racist. He saw what the other cop was like and pretty much vowed to never be like that. So, he attempted to hold this color-blind, prejudice-free mindset. It made him do fairly dumb things, like let a guy go who was evading the police then threatening them. Then he picked up a hitchhiker off the side of the street all by himself. Not really smart. Once he realized he had made a bad move, his prejudices kinda came out stronger to compensate. And that was enough to be deadly.