Friday, February 06, 2009

Temperance:

I've written about this before. I've been thinking about it recently in a different light. Temperance generally can be interpreted as the control of anger- whether it's how one regulates action when angry or perhaps just being less angry. But what about how that is affected by the tempers of the people around you? If my friend is angry about something and I get angry about it as well, we're likely to feed off of each other probably resulting in the demonizing of that subject. If my friend is angry about something and I don't feel the same way, there's more perspective that will likely balance the situation. Hence then it seems to make sense to surround myself with people who are better tempered than me in certain areas, and help others who are less tempered than I in the other areas. Completely logical. What about people who don't care to be calmed when they are angry? Is temperance really a good thing or is it just repression? And how often is it overlooked or underappreciated as a character trait?

That's all I've got on that. I can't seem to hold onto a single train of thought for more than 5 minutes these days. How sad.

2 comments:

Seye said...

my take is, feel what you're going to feel... just don't let it consume you.

and just don't show it either. LOL

plus, I agree with balance because there are always at least 2 sides to a story and neither is completely accurate. They're both going to be biased and have huge gaps.

anadangel said...

holy update, batman!