Wednesday, July 12, 2006

PreHawaii:

While I'm still sorting through pics and stuff, I thought I should post about one Hawaiian experience because it had... should I say... repercussions.

Sometime in the middle of the cruise we visited the beaches of Maui. While kayaking and snorkeling in the Pacific, long story short, I had to debeach on some rocks. It was fine and safe and everything, but by the time everything was sorted out I felt like I had a small bruise on my right foot. Immediately, I disregarded it for the rest of the day. Finally when we got back to the boat and I was about to jump in the shower, I gathered enough sense to examine my foot. Much to my surprise, instead of a bruise there was a small black spot. It was a small piece of rock that was lodged in my foot.

I thought to myself, "no problem" and tried to pull it out with tweezers. It turned out to be a slippery little sucker so eventually my parents decided it best to give the ship doctors a try. They said "no problem" and tried to snatch it out with their fancy tweezers. But much to my dismay, after a half hour of picking and pulling at it, it looked like they were just pushing it in deeper. So they used a local anesthetic and took a scalpel to it. I've never gone under the knife before, but I wasn't worried or anything. I was more concerned with how long it was going to take them since dinner time was fast approaching and they were serving lobster that night. The doctors (that's right, three people tried using different tweezers and needles to push the rock out) called the procedure "coring" so you can use your imagination to figure out how they managed to get the little thing out.

The pain was and is mild, but I've just been hobbling around everywhere for the past week. So I won't be running any marathons these upcoming weeks, but anything else I am still up for! More Hawaii to come.

No comments: