Sunday, July 23, 2006

Hawaii3:

I'm having troubles uploading pictures these days, so you'll just have to deal. Or I guess you can go to facebook and look at some of the pictures I put up there.

Maui. We woke up and did the "road to Hana" (pronounced like Hana Quon), which is a long 4 hour drive to a remote town in the middle of the island. The brochure said it was more about the journey than the destination. We stopped to hike a nice 2 mile trail and checked out some nice waterfalls. Round trip, the drive took the whole day so just crashing back at the ship was a welcomed relief.

Day two in Maui started out beautifully. We woke up around 4 AM to catch the sunrise at Halakalea crater. Basically we drove to the top of one of the tallest mountains on the island and watched the sun break on the clouds. The view was simply awesome- standing above the clouds with a few peaks breaking through the cotton floor, a giant crater rolling far down below you, the beaches and endless ocean behind... it was all there.

After staring at the sun for awhile, we headed back to ship for breakfast and then headed out to hit the beaches. This is when I had my incident, which you can read about in one of those previous posts. After surgery and dinner, we ended the night with a magic show on the boat.

The next morning we set anchor at Kona, which is on "the big island" but on the opposite side of Hilo. Kona is well known for it's coffee, so we went to Greenwell Coffee Farm. It was pretty awesome to learn about some incredible coffee. I'm not the biggest coffee fan, but I could tell this stuff was pretty good from the free samples. I hope the experience doesn't turn me into a coffee snob. So we bought some expensive coffee and did some shopping around town and then went back to the boat for dinner as usual. Also worth mentioning, one of the dishes I had was the ahi sashimi which was absolutely delicious. Maybe one of the best things I had eaten on the whole trip.

Phew... I'm tired and you're probably getting bored since there are no pictures so I'll pick it up from here next time.

No comments: