Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Mirrors:

Consider your former self. How far back do you think you could go such that he/she would be able to recognize well your current self? I mean not just in the physical sense, but in the holistic sense of what defines you as a person. For me, I think myself from about four years ago wouldn't have too much trouble understanding who I am and who I have become. Much more prior to that I think would be a stretch. Myself from one year ago? I think if we blindfolded ourselves and spun around ten times, neither of us would be able to discern any difference.

It's funny. I think if I were to ask the people around me how much I have evolved or grown, they would argue differently and say that perhaps the change has not been drastic, but certainly something they have perceived one way or another. The case most likely stands for everybody, since self perception is inherently so diluted by us being with ourselves all the time. So what does any of this mean? I don't know.

2 comments:

Ă„nna said...

I think about this often, but in reverse. As in, "Who was I back then? I feel like I was such a different person, but I bet my friends would all see the same identity in me."

Having a blog is interesting, cause I can go back and read the things I wrote. I often think, "Oh wow, I thought that was only a recent development, but apparently my mind has been in this place before.

I think overall, your identity stays the same. And when people change a lot I tend to judge them, as if they are just unstable and don't know who they are. That's probably wrong on my part.

santort

E.Kitchens said...

wise. oddly enough i was re reading some old blogs just yesterday. i think i would have to go back about 6 years for my old self to be a bit wierded out. i would have to go back about 8-9 years for my old self to be like, "WTF?"